The Brief History of Zestafoni Ferroalloys Plant
Zestafoni was selected as the location for the plant due to its proximity with Chiatura as well as main transport routes. The construction of the plant started in April 1931 and the first smelt was produced on October 30, 1933. This date is considered the official start date of the plant. By the end of 1937 the plant produced 11 varieties of ferroalloys and soon the ferromanganese plant transformed into the ferroalloys plant.
Since its inception more than 80 years ago, Zestafoni has gradually expanded its operations and production capabilities to better meet the growing international demand for high quality ferroalloy products. The facility features 12 electric arc furnaces with sophisticated air filtering machinery, an agglomeration plant, and a renovated manganese briquettes workshop. As one of Georgia’s leading employers, Zestafoni is constantly innovating its production methods and modernizing its equipment to capture market share and maintain its leadership position.
Recent upgrades implemented include the addition of a new electro-bridge crane, refurbished pouring equipment, and improvements to the facility’s air filtration systems. Zestafoni continues to invest in research and technology aimed at maximizing the usage of raw materials components, which should yield significant cost advantages.
Zestafoni produced about 200000 metric tons of silicomanganese in 2013, and through the extensive distribution network of GAA-owned Felman Trading, Inc., this product is sold internationally to countries including the United States, Canada, England, Japan and France.